Kilkenny not for A-League return

Thursday 26 May 2011













http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/webimage/preston_v_leeds_br1_1_3420120!image/963268341.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/963268341.jpg Neil Kilkenny intends to sort out his club future after Australia's friendlies against New Zealand and Serbia next month.
Kilkenny has been present at Gold Coast United training the last couple of days - in preparation for Australia's upcoming games in Adelaide and Melbourne - with his deal at English npower Championship side Leeds expiring at the end of June. But Kilkenny was quick to deny suggestions he was set to return to the A-League.
"I'm concentrating on European football,'' he said. "I want to play at the highest level and that's in Europe. There's been a lot of talk about my future for the last six or seven months. I'm just trying to focus on my football and my chances for Australia. When I get back to England I'll sort out my future then.
"I'm here to play for Australia and I want to concentrate on that as much as possible.''
Kilkenny is experiencing a Socceroo renaissance of sorts with coach Holger Osieck taking a liking to the dynamic 25-year-old, who came off the bench four times in January's Asian Cup campaign. It is a welcome change of fortunes at international level for Kilkenny after falling out of favour with former boss Pim Verbeek.
"Unfortunately certain circumstances were at the head of that but there's new management and hopefully I'll get a little run in the team,'' he said. "(Osieck is) very good. He picks players on merit and now all the players know what they have to do - perform for our clubs, or when we come away with the Socceroos we'll find that we're not in the squad.
"When I meet up with the squad I'll have to impress as much as possible to try and get a bit of game time.''

0 comments:

Post a Comment