Ed: 2 Steelers Draft Picks Mentioned in SI Article on Ohio State

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Two Steelers draft picks were among many former Buckeyes accused of selling memorabilia in the Sports Illustrated article on Jim Tressel’s downfall at Ohio State.

      Thaddeus Gibson and Doug Worthington, 2010 draft picks, were accused by a Sports Illustrated source as being among those Buckeyes who sold memorabilia at a Columbus tattoo shop. Neither player stuck with the Steelers. Gibson made the team but was waived in November to make room for another lineman after Aaron Smith was injured. He is now with the 49ers. Worthington did not make the team and is now with Tampa Bay.

       We told you about Worthington weeks ago and his name did not again surface until this week’s Sports Illustrated article. His 2008 Buckeye pin, given to the players when they beat Michigan, was sold on History’s Pawn Stars. The guy selling it said he got it off a dealer who said he bought it a few years ago. If true, Worthington would still have been playing at Ohio State.

       One name you did not see in the Sports Illustrated story was that of Santonio Holmes. Surprised?

  Onto some stuff:

    --- We’re going to repeat our guest Slogs this summer when I’m on vacation, which will begin in a few weeks. It was a hit last year. I will have more information soon.

--- Here’s a simple way to understand why there is no football and why there might be none when the season is scheduled to begin: The players’ strategy is to get victory in the courts; the owners strategy is for the players to give up after missing a few paychecks and strike a CBA deal.

 --- Here’s a note I received from one of the most respected agents in the business, Frank Murtha, who has been around NFL football longer than I have. He says don’t focus so much on the appeals court’s upcoming hearing on the lockout but back to Minneapolis, where Judge David Doty could make a game-changing decision.

   “Doty holds key to all of this...not lockout case...if he "locks up" the TV money...whether he gives players any of it...owners won't have that to fund lockout and we'll get a real deal done...this is not 1987 with the players...better informed...most..not all have saved money...believe in cause and while NFLPA guys are not yet Marvin Miller they are closer to getting players behind mentality of being in a union.”

--- I know many of you remain frustrated with our comments section and the difficulties and confusion associated with trying to either post one or read one. I wish I could tell you they were working on improving ours, but the latest word I received is they are not. 

   Here is a note I recently received from PG Plus member, Denise: “I can identify no value for me in the PG deals associated to membership as I live in Maryland and there is no real discussion to engage in right now on the sound off board.  So tell me.  What value is there in me paying for reading your blog that I can see for free on a twitter link.  I really prefer to support you and the post gazette but don't have money to spend on what I can get for free.”

  Stick with us, Denise, we’ll get something done (what will happen first, a CBA in the NFL or a simplified way to post comments on the Slog?)

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment