Teenage Dream- American Idol Finale Results

Wednesday 25 May 2011

I'll give American Idol credit where credit is due. This has to have been the most entertaining finale since season 7. (Sorry season 8, but too much Tatiana/Fergie/Bikini/Normun/ick for my taste.)
I will say this now: we didn't actually see a lot of the top two this evening (I assume Lauren was forced to rest her voice) and I sort of missed the journey videos they normally get. Also I suppose since they sang so many duets together, we really didn't miss out on that.)
Before I recap, I have a small, minor rant.
Dear American Idol: you do realize that you are a self-perpetuating brand? That by promoting your Idols, successful or not, you at least give the illusion that being on American Idol means something? It was very interesting tonight that Lee DeWyze was seen in the audience, but not once heard from the entire tow hours. Say what you will about the guy, he won last year. And for him at least not to make an appearance once on stage, even to share his journey since he won, was unfair, wrong, and criminal. It disturbs me, because even Taylor Hicks got better treatment than that.
I have more, but since I'm recapping and not airing my issues with Idol, I'll move on.
The top 13 open the show with "Born This Way" and wow they actually sound really good live. It's fun to see Ashthon's new hair, and Jacob's continuing committment to the dance moves.
After commercial James dresses up as a Village Person and sings with Judas Priest. James looked so happy and comfortable singing with them, and it was fun to see that kind of rock on the stage. If that was any indication of James's set on tour, I think it'll be a really fun time.
I love when they pick on the judges, and of course they pick up on Randy's 'In it to win it' phrase. He really did overuse that, and for some reason, after seeing him tonight, I really want some ice cream...
Jacob and Kirk Franklin (and Gladys Knight!) took us all to church and I loved it. Jacob, do not pass Go, but go directly to church, and make yourself a gospel album. It was the best he has sounded since ever.
While I wish Idol would have pulled a bait and switch and had Casey sing with someone in his jazz range, I can't deny that he and Jack Black made me laugh, and certainly gave Casey a leg up in acting, if ever he should choose to do so.
Then the top girls come out and sing a Beyonce medly that is fierce, fabulous, and remindeed me that this should have been a girls year. Damn. This was much better than previous years when the girls became back-up singers, instead, each girl had quite a bit of solo time, and it was awesome.
Steven's package is a lot of swearing and general nonsense. I'm okay with Steven in this role, but I do hope the others step up next year.
Haley Reinhart sings with Tony Bennett, and it's cool and quiet and perfect. I could wish her a more star powered duet, but how awesome was her and Tony dancing on that stage, just enojoying music? Gah. Robbed. (Also why was it that it seemed I saw more of Casey and James tonight than Haley. Shame.)
Jennifer's package is about how everyone flirted with her. I loved the shots to Marc Anthony. That guy may be small, but he could probably kill you.
There was a weird thing with TC (they aren't TLC. I refuse to call them that) and some of the girls that remained puzzling the rest of the night, but still interesting.
Scotty and Tim McGraw sing "Live Like You Were Dying" (not to be confuse with Live Like We're Dying, although why no one has done a mashup of those songs yet I do not know.) and I'm pretty impressed with Scotty's range, and how comfortable he looks up on that stage.
The Idol bad audition package is short and not too painful.
Marc Antony comes on and sings something in Spanish, and Jennifer dances, and it's fascinatingly creepy awesome in a way I don't want to think about so I'll move on.
There is a video of James and Casey arguing whose elimination was more shocking and I thought for sure this was where Pia would perform but no, it's the boys and Tom Jones. This isn't as good as the girls, but it does point out all the vocal strenghths the boys have and I have to admit, the Carlton dance during "It's Not Unusual" alsways makes me smile.
Lauren and Scotty have one last video, give cars to their teachers and get cars themselves.
Lady Gaga performs, and boy it's so nice to know that at least under all of her flash, she has some real pipes. (Also hello Mark Kanemura. SYTYCD alum win.) (Also, I've always known that Gaga can sing, but it's nice to see it reaffirmed. There's a lot I hate about pop music today, but Gaga is not one of them.)
Lauren sings with Carrie Underwood, and it's striking that they both have big voices and sparkling personalities and I sort of love their interaction on stage. That said, I'd give Scotty the barest edge on duets tonight. (I know the competition is over, but if the production can do it, I'll pimp someone too. #davidcookforever)
There's a bit about how young the contestants are.
Bono, the Edge, and a really hot guy I'm going to assume is in the SpiderMan musical sing a pretty cool song. I'm not sure it will save the musical, but maybe hot guy can turn the exposure into at least a guest appearance on House or something.
Steven Tyler redeems "Dream On" from previous ruination, and then it is time.
Scotty McCreery rightfully wins American Idol. His fellow contestants practically mob him, and Lauren almost looks relieved. Scotty hugs everyone in the building, tells Lauren he loves her and pretty much wins the heart of America all over again. The kid was laughing and crying and trying to eat confetti.
I didn't even know how much I cared until I felt the grin cross my face.
Scotty: here's hoping you make a record that's authentically you.
Lauren: trust me, ask David Archuleta, losing is the best thing that has ever happened to you.
Everyone else: I was a little disappointed that I saw so much of Casey and James and not Haley, but the girl looked happy, so I won't complain. As to who gets actual recording contracts?
Obviously Scotty and Lauren. I'll go out on a limb and say Pia. I hope, hope, hope someone gives Haley a chance. Other than that, I just don't know.
It's been a real pleasure doing this, even though going to school on the next day has been a little tiring. I hope I can come back next year, but we'll see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment